Before 1945 The Landhaus Averbeck was first mentioned as farm Hassel no 3 in 1357. We can trace back the farm's family ownership to the beginning of the 16th century. From then the property was given from one generation to the next one starting with the 'Garnhof' based on the former surname 'Gade'. Due to marriage, the farm's family name changed to 'Hornbostel' in the 17th century and only became 'Averbeck' in 1933 when Gustav Averbeck, father of Hans-Heinrich, married Gertrud Hornbostel. Today the whole establishment embraces 189 hectare with all its fields, forests. lawns and meadows. Through the ages the farm work was adjusted to the different circumstances. Due to the sandy soil our ancestors grew buckwheat and moor oats for example and kept dairy cattle as well as pigs and goats.
The heathland was created by the large-scale cutting down of the forests for salt production. Wood was so valuable that peat from the moor was "baked" here until about 1940 and used for heating in winter. Heidplacken, the laboriously stung and brought into the stables as litter (hence "drudgery"), together with the animal manure were the only fertilizer for the fields. Other economic "legs" were the fish ponds for carp breeding in the humid Örtzetal and also the brickyard from about 1850 to the 1920s. For further transport lorries brought the fired bricks from the "Lehmkuhle" to the B3. Moreover, the bricks were used for the construction of the own barn, the bakery (about 1850, today's Bistro Landlümmels) and the main house (1909). In addition to a large oven the bakery also called "Häuslingshaus" provides rooms for an average of five to six servants, maids and other employees of the court as well as another room that was hold available for homeless people to stay temporarily. This was not only customary but also prescribed at the time.
The invention of artificial fertilizers was of great importance at the beginning of the 20th century: more fertile fields and meadows meant more food for animals and thus the possibility of keeping more animals. The plight of the World Wars and thereafter required the cultivation of filling foods such as potatoes, bread cereals, fodder and turnip or pumpkins as well as other useful things such as flax (flax for linseed oil) and hemp (hemp fibers).
At the end of World War II, Hans-Heinrich was eleven years old and had two younger siblings. He, as the eldest son, was destined to continue the farm once. Gustav was still at the front at that time. Four refugee families (22 people) from bombed-out cities like Hamburg or Bochum found accommodation. At that time, they lived in the main house in today's rooms 1 to 6. There were no sanitary facilities in the house, but an outhouse in the yard and water buckets at the rooms to wash yourself. The Averbeck family provided the refugees with land to cultivate their own food. Some of the families found work in Hassel and the surrounding areas and their offspring still live here today.
In 1954 it was decided to specialize and convert the farm to a dairy farm. The old four-upright house was demolished to build modern cowshed in its place one year later; to feed the cows, corn and fodder beets were grown on the fields.
In 1960 Hans-Heinrich and Maria got married and had three children: Christiane, Silke and Frauke as their youngest daughter.
In 1967 the farmyard was overruled by Gustav to his son. After graduation, the sisters first left the farm. Due to the lack of a successor and the prospect of only being able to work economically if the number of cows was significantly increased, Maria and Hans-Heinrich decided to stop the dairy business in the 1980s.
Instead, the farm became one of the first to specialize in asparagus farming in the nearby region. During this time Maria and Hans-Heinrich also cleared the way for today's holiday farm and offered some of the vacant rooms for rent. The guests, mostly from Sweden on their way to the South or Berlin people on holiday in the Lüneburger Heide, received a homemade breakfast from Maria. More and more rooms in the main building were offered for rent although there was no central heating in the house and the existing bathrooms had to be shared with the guests. Later new ones were installed to each room.
First Italy, then Berlin, where she completed her apprenticeship to become a hotel manager and met Ross Stewart Pennington and finally, England: these were Frauke's stations before she and Ross decided to go to Hassel together. Frauke initially worked as a receptionist at the Hotel Fürstenhof in Celle. Hans-Heinrich and Ross set out to gradually rebuild the empty cowshed: Where once food for the cows used to be stored on the hayloft, rooms 9 to 14 are located now.
When the couple was expecting Jacob in 1995 Ross took over Frauke's job in Celle. Additionally, they led the farm together with Hans-Heinrich and Maria as well as expanded the asparagus cultivation to three hectares. The workers had free food and accommodation and lived in the yard as well as in the hunting lodge.
Charlotte was born in 1997 and one year later Frauke and Ross officially took over the farm.
In 2002, Antonia was born. The asparagus cultivation was given up in 2005, which was due to the increasing oversupply the decreasing profitability. At the end of the same year, Frauke and Ross opened the play barn "Landlümmels" at the Landhaus Averbeck in Bergen, which quickly became a popular destination for many families with small children in the region and, of course, offered real added value for the overnight guests.
In 2010, thoughts on the further development of the farmyard followed. To continue the farm forward-looking, the room offer had to be increased significantly. Frauke and Ross developed a family concept that included a redesign of the house, an apartment house, a childcare service and a hotel with a swimming pool. At the same time, Familotel offered itself as a strong marketing partner. This is how the Familotel Landhaus Averbeck was built in the Lüneburger Heide. From then, everything went very fast: The pig house became apartments, the old horse and cowshed turned to a swimming pool and sauna area and the old kids' rooms were expanded for child care. New stables for animals, a winter garden, the new kitchen, cold storage rooms and the apartment house were built. The ideal conditions for family holidays on the farm including child care were created.
From mid-2011 the Familotel Landhaus Averbeck was online bookable. By the end of the renovation work in July 2012, additional staff had already been hired and guests had already been welcomed. Over time, childcare at the hotel was expanded to 56 hours per week. So, the Familotel crowns were increased from 3 to 4.5. In 2014, Landhaus Averbeck won the "Holiday Check Top Hotel" award, TÜV Nord awarded the hotel as "Ok für Kids" and it als received the certification for "Service Qualität Deutschland Stufe II". In 2015, 2016 and 2017, the family hotel in the Lüneburger Heide was also given the "Holiday Check Award". At the end of 2016, the appearance was changed with a new logo and corporate design as well as a new website, which will give you even more desire to stay with us at the Familotel Landhaus Averbeck.